Hair Loss Pregnancy

Hair Loss During Pregnancy: What You Need To Know

On average, about 90% of your hair is growing, while the other 10% is at a resting phase. In every two or three months, the resting hair essentially falls out in order to allow the new hair to grow out in its place. Shedding of hair is also caused by several other factors such as stress and pregnancy.


Telogen effluvium is a condition experienced by women during their pregnancy, at about 5 months in. it is a fairly common condition, affecting 40% to 50% of women during pregnancy. However, just like many changes that occur in pregnancy, the condition is temporary.


But when can the hair loss be termed as abnormal?

Hair loss commonly associated with pregnancy usually occurs in the post delivery phase. During pregnancy, there is a higher number of hairs that go into the resting phase of the normal hair loss cycle. In most cases, this condition is not harsh enough to cause permanent hair loss or baldness, and usually starts to alleviate in about 3 to 4 months after delivery. In this case, if you notice some unusual hair loss when you are pregnant, it could be as a result of a mineral or vitamin deficiency.

The commonest form of hair loss during pregnancy usually happens 3 months after delivery. Te general increase in the amount of hormones during pregnancy will help protect you from hair loss. The hormones will eventually return to their normal levels after delivery, and this may allow some hair to fall off in order to return to its original cycle of growth. In this case, the normal hair loss, which was prevented while you were pregnant, may therefore fall out once.

Essentially, approximately 60% or less of the hair that is in the growth phase during this period may enter into telogen resting phase. This type of hair loss will normally peak at around 3 to 4 months after you deliver, to allow the hair follicles to rejuvenate themselves. As noted earlier, the hair loss is only temporary, and within 6 to 12 months, your hair will return back to normal.

Keep in mind that hair loss during pregnancy can also be caused by several other factors, especially those that normally affects the levels of estrogen in your body. When the balance of this hormone is affected, it affects the hair cycle. During pregnancy, the level of estrogen increases. This causes the hair to stay in its growing phase, thereby stimulating the growth of your hair. You should expect a head full of full length and luxurious hair.


Since hair loss during pregnancy is natural, telogen effluvium is self correcting. However, proper hair maintenance practices should be practiced daily. Handle your hair gently, avoid rigorous ad over-doing combing, as well as brushing at any type of scalp massage will help a great deal. Some case could be treated by proper diet and nutrition, supplementing these with supplements where necessary. Be sure to check your levels of iron, folic acid, vitamin B12, etc, as deficiency of these will slow down the process of hair growth.

Back to home page